Going about my business this morning I looked up and behind a taxi was written on ‘TRY GOD’. My immediate thought was nooooo. Many of us have turned God into our plan Bs, someone to whom we can run to when everything else has completely failed. Some of us do it knowingly while others unknowingly, but we definitely have all done this. I am sure the one that put it there didn’t mean any harm or anything of the sort. They probably thought putting that suggestion up there was a form of praise. Bless their hearts.
We as Christians are not allowed to look at the Lord this way, He should be the first in every way in our lives. The Bible clearly says we should not put any other god before Him.
Deuteronomy 5:7-9 “You shall have no other gods before me. “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me…
The term god here doesn’t just mean some idol made of wood, silver and such. Anything that we put in the place of the Lord automatically becomes a god/idol to us.
Are you watching movies and series non stop? You have a god.
Are you constantly on your phone and feel like you can’t do without it? You have a god.
Is there that one person that makes you feel like they are your everything, when you are low you run to them, when you lack, when in good times it is them? While this can be a good thing, (having someone there for you) you need to be very careful that they don’t become an idol. I had this kind of idol/god in my life once and letting go was the hardest thing but I thank the Lord for the release.
For you to know that something or someone is an idol/god in your life, the thought of letting it/them go sets you into a panic mode.
There are ups to putting God first.
1. It puts the importance of virtue and the avoidance of sin at the very top of our priorities, especially before selfish desires. Matthew 6:33 “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.
2. There is a release from the bondage of addictions. Romans 6:18…and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
3. The Lord will never disappoint you. Romans 10:11 ” Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed.”
4. Enables you to experience tremendous peace. 1 Peter 5:7 Knowing that our lives are directed by God gives us comfort and peace and saves us from unnecessary worry. God is a caring God and he doesn’t want us to worry about anything.
5. It puts God in the position of your sole provider. Philippians 4:19. “And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.”